The Status of BIM Application in China’s AEC Industry By Wu
In 2009, Global Construction Perspectives and Oxford Economics in forecasting the construction market in 2020 estimated that China would overtake the United States as the world’s largest construction market by 2018, with a construction market worth about $2.4 trillion and representing 19.1 percent of the global construction output.
The purpose of this research is to enhance understanding about BIM development in China and to determine the level of BIM implementation in China’s architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) industry. In addition, it aims to respond to the ongoing effort of buildingSMART International to promote adoption of International Foundation Classes (IFC)-based BIM standards. The objectives of this pilot study
• To reveal quick facts regarding BIM usage in China
• To understand the industry’s attitudes towards BIM
• To understand the benefits, challenges and factors that impact BIM deployment in China
• To benchmark the BIM application status in China
• To propose a future action plan for promoting BIM deployment in China.